Gifting Shares of Stock
Thank you for considering gift shares of stock. Below are the instructions for transferring the stocks to the Community Foundation of the Northern Shenandoah Valley’s account, which is administered by The Mason Companies. Please call us direct if you have any questions.
From Another Brokerage Account
- To make a gift from your brokerage account to our brokerage account, send the Stock Gift Letter to your broker. Your broker will then send the requested shares to the Community Foundation of the Northern Shenandoah Valley’s account to The Mason Companies via DTC (which is the technical term for electronically transferring shares of stock). Please advise us of the gift so that we may accept the shares.
- This is for gifts of stock only, excluding mutual funds.
With Stock Certificates in Your Possession
- To make a gift using stock certificates in your possession, please print the Stock Gift Letter B and the Stock/Bond Power.
- Follow the stock gift delivery instructions in transferring your stock certificates. These instructions will ensure trouble-free transferring.
- Complete the Stock/Bond Power according to the stock gift delivery instructions.
- Complete the Stock Gift Letter B and attach with the Stock/Bond Power to your shares of stock. This letter must be Signature Guaranteed, a service provided by your local bank.
NOTE: Do not complete the back of the stock certificate. Use one stock/bond power per certificate and ship using certified or overnight delivery. Also be sure to include the Community Foundation of the Northern Shenandoah Valley’s account number (931030129 ) at The Mason Companies on the face of each stock certificate.
- Please provide the Community Foundation with a copy of both Stock Gift Letter B and the fronts and backs of all stock certificates so we may accept the shares. You can mail a copy to: CFNSV, P.O. Box 2391, Winchester, VA 22604 or e-mail copies to us at email@example.com.