Our Mission, Vision & Values
To inspire philanthropy for the benefit of the City of Winchester and the Counties of Clarke, Frederick
To create a healthy and vibrant community through engaged philanthropy, community knowledge
Community Foundations help individuals, families, businesses and non-profit agencies achieve their charitable and financial goals by providing tools and resources that make giving easy, flexible and effective.
- Donors can create a charitable fund and recommend grants that support the issues and groups they care about – such as the arts, education, the environment, animals and healthcare – even if these groups are located outside of their local community. Or, donors can rely on the foundation to make grants that reflect their particular interests.
- We are an attractive alternative to starting a private foundation, since we handle all the record keeping, reporting to the IRS, accounting and investment management.
- Donors who establish a fund at a Community Foundation benefit from the highest available tax deductions for charitable contributions.
- Donors have opportunities to be involved in the
grant makingprocess, including recommending grant recipients.
- We can accept a variety of assets and facilitate complicated giving strategies.
- We pool the assets of individualized funds, giving us economies of scale to hire top investment managers.
- Donors can choose to be anonymous in their giving.
Community Foundations have an in-depth understanding of the community’s challenges and the groups and individuals addressing them.
- We closely monitor community issues, opportunities
- Our knowledge of the community enables our donors to make a difference by funding high-impact initiatives addressing a broad range of local needs.
- Our expertise helps donors learn more about local issues in order to make
theirgiving as effective as possible.
Community foundations play a key role in addressing community needs – now and in the future.
- We serve as community catalysts, convening diverse voices and groups to work on solutions to local issues.
- We build endowments to ensure that grants are always available to support the community.
- We foster greater giving and volunteering.
- We are governed by leaders with strong ties to our community.